What you must do before you can get married
The short answer is you must provide me with the following documents either in English language or a certified NAATI translation :
- Photo evidence of identification ( e.g. a drivers licence )
- If previously married evidence of the end of that marriage ( Divorce or Death of Spouse )
- Evidence of your age and birthplace ( see below )
You must also complete :
- A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) ( Download form ) and it must be given to me at least one month before the wedding date.
As your Celebrant I can guide you through completing this form
The longer answer is explained in all the pages and links below. I am happy to answer any questions.
Evidence of your age and birthplace
If you were born in Australia you need to provide your Celebrant with an original Birth Certificate, if you do not have one it can be purchased from the Births Deaths and Marriages office in the State in which you were born. see links Your Australian Passport can also be used for this evidence of place and date of birth. NOTE you must either provide your birth certificate or your Australian Passport
If you were born outside Australia your Passport ( either Australian or Overseas Passport )will be accepted in place of a Birth Certificate. If you have no Passport or Birth Certificate other arrangements can be made.
If you have a problem providing the required documentation please contact me as there are arrangements in place for special circumstances and I will do everything possible to make sure that you can get married.
If the services of a translator or interpreter are required, the Attorney General recommends that they are found through the NAATI website and that the translator or interpreter is accredited at Level 3 or higher.
If you have been married before you must provide evidence of the end of the marriage.
•If your previous marriage ended in Divorce you must provide a Certificate of Divorce. If you do not have this you can get one by applying for one from The Family Law Courts
•If your previous marriage ended because of the Death of your spouse you must provide a Death Certificate see links
- Talk to me if there is less than one month before your wedding. A prescribed authority may approve a shorter notice time in some limited circumstances